You’ve found it! The perfect piece! It’s completely unique and you’re certain it was made just for you. Excitement rushes through as you imagine the decorative possibilities.
Minutes seem like hours on the drive home from your local Nadeau. The need for your visions to come to life is unbearable. Finally, your home with your brand, new coffee table. It was refreshingly affordable and has just enough edge to bring out that industrial look you’ve been after. But wait, something’s wrong; it doesn’t seem to be fitting on your vintage rug in the living room. Could it be too big?!
We’ve been there before and most of us have learned our lesson, so in order to ease the pain of learning the hard way on your furniture excursion, bring these five items with you on the hunt for the perfect piece:
- SMART PHONE: Chances are you’re going to have this with you anyway
s,but let’s get into the specifics. Mobile devices can be used for more than just calling your significant other to tell them about your new finds. You should come into the store with photos of the space your looking to add items to. Make sure to have lots of angles of where you plan to put your purchase. This will help you visualize what looks best in the room. Along with having photos stored and ready, it’s also helpful to have these apps on standby and ready at a moments notice!
- Tape Measure: Some stores carry these and some do not, but it is better to be safe than sorry! Make sure to have one handy at all times and don’t be afraid to measure every angle of a piece. You want to be sure that it is going to fit perfectly in your home.
- Small Notebook: It is nice to have a small notebook that you always carry around. This can be used for keeping track of dimensions, creating lists of what you need, or for harboring design inspiration.
- Color Samples: It is absolutely essential to carry around a few color samples from the room you are working to fill. Pictures are great for many things, but having the ability to hold up the color next to an item is a game changer.
- Positive Attitude: Purchasing a new piece of furniture can be stressful at times, so keeping an up-beat demeanor will help you stay motivated and push you closer to a great find.
Whether your a seasoned, shopping veteran or the new kid on the block, any tips that help you find your dream piece with ease is worth keeping close to your side. It also doesn’t hurt to start your search at a place you know has great quality, prices and a large assortment of items to choose from (ahem, Nadeau!).
Anything we forgot? What do you take with you when your looking for a new piece or decoration? Let us know in the comment section below!